THE BEAUTIFUL 'DEATH'
“Hey, come
on get up!.........get up! Get up!” grinning from ear to ear I yelled at my
mother.
“Uhhhhh…….what...time...Is…it..?”
she asked, all hazy and puzzled, about to rack down on the bed again.
“Mom! It’s
5 am and we’re already so late!”
.
.
“How can
you sleep again mom, get up already!”
Looking
daggers at me, she finally got up with a reluctant sigh.
It was the
8th grade, a fresh new year, and the magical season of monsoon had
just begun! It was my first ever trip (rather, trek) with my new school, and I
couldn’t be any more ecstatic! I
couldn’t go the previous year as I had terribly dislocated my knee and
therefore, I was double-excited for this peppy adventure to a ginormous fort
this year!
.
.
“KIMAYA!
Where are you lost these days……. - “Nowhere mom...” I smiled, grabbed those
huge tiffins from my mom and rushed to the door.
“Dear,
please take care of yourself. Don’t go anywhere alone, stay with your friends
always. In case anything happens, inform your teachers first….” Her blissful
love and care was visible in those held-back tears at the brink of her eyes. I
looked up at her and smiled wide, “mom, don’t worry. I’ll be super-fine!”
Yes dear…I
know that. Enjoy …” she smiled back beautifully and kissed me on the forehead.
“Bye mom!” I jumped and waved.
“Bye
dear”………
It was a
colossal fort. Standing tall and erect (at almost a right angle…phew!) at 3560
ft. with powerful wind blustering past it, till our sights could reach.
It was the mighty,
Tung fort, and ‘Tung’, meaning difficult, in the name itself!
“Is
th-th-that the fort?! Which, we, have to…..climb…up??....!
“Shit!”
It was
jaw-dropping gigantic. Plucking up all the courage we had, “let’s do this!” we
started our battle with the winds and rocks, with our lives, literally at
stake.
.
.
.
We were
drained out, panting and had almost surrendered, as we finally reached the
peak. It was surreal. It was a wet day; monsoon was in full throttle, and
dumping gallons of water from the skies.
After we
had adequately adored the beautiful and mesmerizing nature up there, it was
time to feed the rats in our stomach.
We were
then, done with everything, and it was time for the ‘return journey’. It was
terrible, it was scary. Each and every rock was hell-like slippery, and if you
do slip off, you’re gone, hundreds and thousands of feet, deep…. deep down the
dark valley.
“God…… Kimaya, what would happen if anyone
slipped from here!?” Tanisha, my best friend, asked. “Are you out of your mind?
That’s a deep dark valley with almost nothing visible, why would anyone even
FALL there!? ……..come on, let’s continue with our work” I replied.
I was
feeling a bit dizzy. But I ignored it, and resumed, as we had the entire
mountain left to descend down, around some 2000 ft. “work, work, work!” I
prompted myself.
“Kimaya, are you okay? You don’t look good. Do you
need some water?” She asked.
“Yeah…umm…….I don’t know….I’m…..fine……”
I turned hazy. My eyes involuntarily shut.
Everything turned pitch black, and I went blank and unconscious. A blackout.
The next moment,
.
.
.
.
I had slipped.
Slipped from the mighty cliff, straight into the
deep valley. I stared at her, with eyes wide open, pleading for help, as I
vanished from her sight.
I was flipped and tossed in the air and banged on
trees and stones. Thorns pierced my face and ruptured my skin, stones hit my
body. I was rolling down the valley with sharp stones and thorns sticking in my
body, in whichever direction anyone could imagine. I was hammered on a big
pointed boulder straight into my back. I was passing through gnarled thorny
trees with their branches tearing out skin from my face, hands, legs....and
what not, and still falling.
Every inch of
my body was bruised by spear-like stones. My head pummelling through boulders,
they cut my head open. My jaw hit on a cornerstone, my hands and legs twisted
and twirled aberrantly. And I was still, falling.
My body had drained out. It had given up. I had no
sensations whatsoever. Let my body be cut apart and I wouldn’t feel a thing
now. I saw the end coming near. I felt my bones breaking, my skin being
brutally teared down, my senses fading away and not even a little of life left
in me. It was horrible, and survival was not even a chance. And I still… kept...
falling.
Life was over. I finally…..closed my eyes….and I
gave up.
.
.
.
I stopped. After around a 2000 feet free-fall, I
finally stopped.
My body had left me. My mind had stopped working. No
feelings, no emotions, no worry, no pain, no strength. Nothing.
I didn’t know where I was. I didn’t know what was
happening with me. I didn’t know if I had anything left with me; my body, my
parts, my mind, my brain. I didn’t know whether my systems were functioning. I
didn’t know if I’m breathing or not. I didn’t know whether my heart was
beating….or not….i didn’t know if I’m alive….. Or….. Not…….
I just lay there, like a corpse.
“______________________________________”
Nothing.
Still laying there, approximately, 20 minutes passed away…..
Something…....sparked in me. A little hope. A
little, undying hope to live.
I felt myself coming back.my senses were back. It
was a new life, it was a new me and a better me. And I wanted to live this one,
no matter what.
I tried to open my eyes. They were heavy, they had
worn-out. I was directly at the foot of the fort, in a dreadful jungle, with
terrifying amount of thorns around and stung into me, with no sight of the
skies, all alone, with absolutely no way out.
I didn’t know what to do. My body was still not
responding to me. It was numb. But I tried to get up, just to collapse on the
ground once again. I then…closed my eyes……gathered up all the courage I had
lost and somehow managed to get on my feet. Finally I did it.
There was literally a pool of blood beneath me. My
clothes were torn. All my belongings were scattered in front of me. My body was
unrecognisable. It was crushed, covered in mud. There were slits in my skin and
blood gushing out of fissures at places. The thorns, sticking out from my hands
and face, like they have been there forever. Blood flowed from my head, down my
face like a river. Ugh….
I had to clean my hands, at least. I pulled out
almost 15-20 thorns from my hands, and cleaned the blood with some leaves. I
suddenly felt something unusual in my mouth. I tried spitting it out. It was my
own tongue, snipped into pieces, along with some chipped off teeth, in my
hands.
All this, and I felt nothing. No pain anywhere. My
body was so numb and senseless.
A lot of time had passed then. Later, I gained a
little strength and even tried to climb again. Well, I did many more things,
and a lot happened in between. Anyways…….
45 minutes, I was alone, like a fish out of water,
struggling for life.
Finally, someone informed the villagers, and
somehow, I was rescued. An ambulance took me to the nearby hospital. Finally,
the wrestle for life had ended and I just surrendered myself.
I had 8 stitches on the slit on my head, 6 on my
chin where my jaw had cracked into half. I had my tongue rolled and stitched
up, whatever the little of it was remaining. I had all the thorns and stones jammed
in my body removed. 4 doctors were thus working on me, performing everything simultaneously
in the Operation Theatre. And well, I was all alone…..my parents had been told
“ she has just bruised herself a little.”, just for them not to worry too much
about me. But well, we all know how mothers are! She sensed something grave.
She rushed to Lonavala as soon as possible, and my dad left from Mumbai too.
After an hour of battling with huge, thick, horrible needles and scissors and
knives and what not, I was then finally shifted to a room where I could have
some peaceful rest.
After a while, my parents arrived. I waved happily
at my mom, but she……. Just fainted looking at me. I was entirely rolled up in
white bandage, which had almost turned red too, with my eyes barely visible.
I couldn’t talk, so I moved my hands and tried to
convey that I’m fine, trying hard to smile and looked at her.
She didn’t utter a single word. She just kept
crying, and I just kept looking at her…………
Her girl had just returned
from the doors of death………
The doctors said “more than half the tongue has been
brutally cut off. We’re afraid, it won’t grow back. Sorry, but she won’t be
able to speak henceforth. Three of her vertebras are cracked apart. She also
has some serious cranial injuries. ” They found an unidentified liquid in my
kidney. 16 of my teeth were vertically fractured and chipped off as a result of
my jaw being hammered on a stone whilst my fall and my spinal cord had been
seriously damaged.
My face was unrecognisable, they said. The doctors
didn’t even allow me to see myself in the mirror. I had horrible, bloody scars
and my face was disfigured, they said. Just so my parents wouldn’t panic, they
weren’t allowed to even have a glance at my tongue. Because I didn’t have any.
It was cut off. It was gone.
I couldn’t eat solid food, not even semi-solids for
around 5 months. I couldn’t talk. Sign language was the only way. I would only
struggle and get up for washroom. People would come and visit me every day, but
I couldn’t even thank them for that. It was……difficult…..
Anyways…….it’s just too much; all of it won’t be
covered here.
But it has been 3 years now! And I’m totally fine.
Miraculously, the tongue grew back.it is a cm short, but that’s more than fine.
A humongous amount of dental treatment is still left, even after 8 root canals
and several surgeries, but it’ll be done in 5-6 years. Back pain has now become
an old friend of mine!
But today, I’m super-fine. I can breathe, I can eat,
I have a roof over my head, wonderful parents, I have everything. I have a magical
new life. I have a newer, better me and I am more than blessed for that.
What more do we want right?!
"Rise above the storm and you'll see the sunshine"
Life has always been wondrous for me. Despite what actually happened till now, life has always blessed me with lessons, courage and most importantly, strength to confront the barricades in life, which I thought are hindering my growth, but actually, became my identity. I tried to turn my wounds into wisdom. Never to suffer would be never to have been blessed. I’ll always be grateful to my past, as I’m nothing without it. I believe, every exit is an entry somewhere beautiful, and it literally happened in my case. Whatever I’ve gained from this experience, it’s a lot and it is just magical and exceptional. The 2nd life has been great since then. Well, it definitely won’t fit here now,
But still, stay tuned for the next one!
Idk, the tears which are rolling down my cheeks are of not being able to imagine the agony or having your presence in my life till date.. π
ReplyDeleteReally,a very great blog Kimu...
Heyyπ’π’❤️ arre chill ❄️ I'm okay na now!
DeleteYour appreciation for my blog holds so much meaning to me, thanks a million tons!!! More than infinity, actually. ππ❤️Lysm!!!!
Thanks a tonn..... ππ Your words mean a hell lot to me❤️π
ReplyDeleteKimu again while reading this blog my tears came out ππ I have seen you in that situation when I came to your home....your life is challenging you many things and u are soo strong that you face it ....
ReplyDeleteKimu take care
Stay blessed π
Love you a lotttt Kimu π❤️
Thanks priya... ❤️
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteYou're a strong girl....
ReplyDeleteππ
DeleteHeyyy.... Harsheet dear.... Thanks a hell lot❤️ love you so muchπ’❤️π
ReplyDeleteThis made my day dear. Thanks a lot
Kimuuu, he vachtanna sagla punha dolya samor aala, kharach ya incident ne amhalahi khup kahi shikavla.. π― Remember, now you're a strong girl. And this makes all of us very happyπ love you❤
ReplyDeleteKimuuu, he vachtanna sagla punha dolya samor aala, kharach ya incident ne amhalahi khup kahi shikavla.. π― Remember, now you're a strong girl. And this makes all of us very happyπ love you❤
ReplyDeleteI was almost in tears after reading this heart touching story. I know that you have been trough a lot but I am glad that this phase of life has passed and you are happy again.
ReplyDeleteEven tough we were not there for you during that time but our good wishes and prayers are always there with you.
Take care and have a happy and blessed life❤
Thanks a lot sneha. You're always in my heart❤️❤️π
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey didu π......... again a strong girl ha.....
ReplyDeleteI still remember I was new in the school.......I hardly heard of u ......and suddenly one a message came to me that kimu ( nav motha ahe....kimu Chan vatta π )...a girl from our class has fallen from tung fort....I literally had goosebumps.......I didn't knew that one u will be so imp person in my life......I have enjoyed each n every day we spent together..... especially atal..... those were the days ❣️....... thanks for being there for me....... love you a lot....god bless you more .......
Hona dadu i know u didn't know me thenπ π and i never expected that I'll love you sooo much like now π
DeleteAnd well i was also aware ki girls knew a lil bit more abt this accident of mineπ€π€π€π€
Anyways. You're like, literally an inseparable part of not only my life, but actually, me. Love you, more than you can anyday, imagine. ❤️
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI tried to imagine the incident with me in the picture and I find my spirit weak... I cannot find words to applaud your willpower... Might buy a thesaurus later :) Great blog.
ReplyDeleteThanks ππ
DeleteBeing a part of this incident, I don't have anything to comment upon. Here, just these words are making people cry, but that unforgettable sight (which still flashes over eyes every night even today), took off my life for a moment untill I could hear voice of your presence, which no else one could hear!
ReplyDeleteAnd there's just no doubt in my best friend's strength of will. It inspired a lot many people.
All the way, excellent write up!
♥️
Thanks ❤️❤️π’
ReplyDeleteWow!! I don't have words coming out of my mouth right now. I don't know what amazes me the most is your strength or the unbelievable and unfortunate incident. Your writing made me realize how granted we take our lives for. I wish you all the luck and love in the world❤. May God bless you with all the happiness in existence. Sending love and good wishes your way ��❤
ReplyDeleteNisargaaa❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ππ this means so much to me. Loved you always dear. Thanks ππ
ReplyDeleteI'm speechless......
ReplyDelete- Your well wisher
❤️ππ....
DeleteKimu i don't know why but your awesome ...your a real fighter infact ur very strong ...and it was very difficult to read it for mee as this reality is painful , i thank god to have u again ....this is your second birth and ur doing best in it ...i really proud of uu ....and alsoo lucky to have a friend like u (real fighter). Well ur blog language and use of phrases is awesome , i just loved it ..hopee uu writee many blogs such likee thiss ..hats off kimuuu πππ..
ReplyDeleteThanks ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ππ
DeleteGosh reading this, I had tears in my eyes rolling down!! I mean you've been so much in your life that I can't even imagine going through! You were strong and will always be! Tho we weren't there with you, we've always wished the best for you!!! Made us all realize that how precious out lives are!♥️�� Love you always dear!
ReplyDeleteRania, this means so much. Love you always❤️
DeleteDear Kimaya, we haven't really met or talked.. but I never knew you had to face so many struggles and obstacles. You are not only super creative but also an exceptionally strong person.. all that you have endured so far has moulded you into a versatile and wonderful girl. You are like the living exams of the quote 'We fall, we break, we fail,but then, we rise, we heal, we overcome.' May you be blessed with eternal strength.. may you get the world's best in everything!!
ReplyDeleteoh my god this literally made my day. thanks a lot dear.....means so much. may god give you lots and power and love
ReplyDeleteI was a witness to this rebirth of yours Kimdas.......while these are not some of the best memories of my life...it makes me proud that we have you as a big part of our lives...you are simply exemplary.... and such a fighter
ReplyDeleteHave a great life ahead π and keep motivating all of us as you always doπ
Thank you mamaaa so muchhh!!!!! I love you all so muchπ«π«π«π«πππππ
ReplyDeleteReally appreciate your huge strength and fighting spirit ππ»ππ»
ReplyDeleteKeep growing dear π
thanks for your blessings and wishes!
DeleteYou are a wonder woman for sure...that wasn't an easy journey for you to get back to your normal life again, but, still you made it and that's so inspiring.. Keep shining and be as brave as you are now.. !❤️
ReplyDeletethank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
ReplyDeleteI remember this day when Asmita hurriedly had left from office straight to Lonavala... terrifying π£ You are a strong girl πGod bless you!
ReplyDeleteOh... Yes..... Thanks a lot πππ
ReplyDelete